Thursday, July 14, 2011

YA Today

"What is a chode?" I asked my sixteen year old daughter, when I heard her and her friend laughing at the new nickname they'd recently given one of their male friends. When she told me, I was honestly a little surprised. Mostly because she actually knew what a chode was, and then I felt another grey hair spring forth. Am I really that old?

Writing a YA series has been a great experience, but it had also been challenging to walk the line of what's appealing without crossing over into adult. I've read many YA paranormal romance and some authors are better at it than others. This day and age, the YA audience could probably teach me a thing or two, so I'm not as worried about writing conservatively as I am about writing a great story, with real dialogue and tension.

My goal is that the YA audience will identify with my characters. They're not perfect, and they make mistakes. But one message comes through in this story, and that's forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment